Friday, May 2, 2008

Just me and the kids...


Last weekend, with Helena jet setting to New York, I was in charge of the kids. Now, at first, that does not seem like a big deal. I am a very capable father; taking care of my kids needs is not a new concept. Helena from time to time has gone on other trips. She usually will take one of the girls with her. This weekend was different for some reason. Don't get me wrong, we had a great weekend. This time, the girls were A LOT of work! Helena left Thursday night and Momo (her mom) watched the kids Friday morning, but it was just me from then on until Monday afternoon. The time flied by. Friday night, we had dinner out, even though the kids had already eaten at Wendy's for breakfast and lunch. Bedtime came and went, and then the kids got to bed. Saturday came early. Breakfast was easy, pancakes for everyone. Where did all those dishes come from? Really, the kids ate out all day Friday! How many pairs of shoes does Tasha have? Does she really wear them all in one day? It looked like the laundry bin was mostly full, I thought I would throw them in the washer...how does this machine work? Did I miss the seminar that explains it? In my defense, it is a new machine. Now, we are no means a wealthy family. How did our kids get so many clothes? Do they really have to change 5 times each day? I know Tasha does. I get the kids situated to keep them busy so I can mow the lawns. Just my luck, both the back and the front need to be mowed. Sure is a warm day. Mow, edge, blow. Everything went well except for the couple times the kids wanted to know if I was done yet. I have to stop the mower to hear them. Lunch was simple. Both kids like bean burritos and they are easy. Wait! Kyra has soccer! Crap, where is the game today? Where is the schedule? Found it. Where is the game? Wait, Kyra' team doesn't play today. What? I'm not sure if I am mad because there is no game or glad because now we don't have to go across town for the game. Time to switch the laundry (you didn't think I threw it all in one load did you?). Put the next load in. This is actually a cool machine. Switch the load to the dryer...wait, we don't use the dryer...out to the back yard to the clothesline. Set up the clothesline. Where does the support rod go? H has shown me too many times for my own good. Never mind, just string it tight enough to hang the clothes (it is a retractable line). Hang the clothes. Surprisingly, this is a calming, positive experience. No wonder H enjoys it. The clothes smell so nice. Kyra is a trooper and jumps in to help without being asked. This is a surprise because when I asked her to help with the lawn, she hated every second of it (her part was to scoop the dog poop)! Are all the clothes going to fit on the line? Whew! Just barely. Good thing I didn't wash all of the clothes at once. Come back inside only to find that WWIII had hit our living room! How do two kids create a natural disaster so quickly? Pick up the living room, have the kids pick up their rooms so I can vacuum all the carpet (it's not a big deal, we mostly have tile in our house). "Dad, can we go to the park?" You can, I can't (I've got too much to do and to be honest, I am getting tired). Crap! Almost forgot about softball (see Monique's blog for the report). "Dad, what are we having for dinner?" Dinner? I haven't a clue. Besides, I have to take down the laundry and hang the next load. Ok. Done with the clothes. Dinner... As it turns out, I score a break. At the softball game (yes I know it was a tournament, but we all knew we would only play 1 game), they were serving all the sub sandwiches, Gatorade and popsicles you could eat. Kyra eats a sandwich and has some Gatorade. As I walk up to Tasha, who at this point has red lips, she tells me that she had a popsicle. I ask, "Was it cherry?" She says yes and then admits that she had more than 1. "How many?" I ask, a little concerned. "Just 5." Great. What a supervising father I was. As we were leaving, Tasha grabs a sandwich to go. She has one bite and proclaims she is full. Really? There's a surprise. She claims that the sandwich was spicy. It was a little bit, but come on, 5 popsicles! We finally get home. Time for showers...all of us! Have to be clean for Church. Showers go well, to my surprise. Tasha asks about her hair. That is clearly a mom thing, so no hair. Time for bed because we have to get up early for Church. I tuck Kyra in, and make a deal with Tasha that I will lay down with her, but only for a little while. This is the first night Tasha falls asleep by herself (it was in our bed, but still)! I get up because I still have a lesson to prepare (yea, better late than never). Finally, I go to bed (it really felt good). Morning comes quick. The girls are up and I am ready for breakfast. Today on the menu is cereal. As it turns out, the girls do not want breakfast. Time to get ready for Church. Church starts at 9:00? Really? Since when? Ok, I knew that one. But there is no way we can make it to Sacrament. We do make it for Primary. The kids were good and my lesson goes smooth. Thank you to Shanton for your assistance. The kids in class behave fantastic. Home for lunch. The kids are, of coarse, starving! Nachos are a big hit. The kids settle in to watch a Church Video as I clean up lunch? Are you kidding me? Whose dishes are these? We didn't even eat breakfast! Get the dishes done, load the dishwasher again, start the dishes. Time to take down the laundry (yes, it still is up from the day before). Finally, rest with the kids for a few moments. "Dad, what’s for dinner?" permeates from the girls. "You just ate (5 hours ago)." Spaghetti and salad is a favorite and don't forget, it's easy. I ask Kyra to bless the food but of coarse Tasha throws a fit...fine, Tasha gets to bless the food because I do not have the strength for this fit. Clean up from dinner. Where did all these dishes come from? I ask Kyra to help unload the dishwasher which she does...reluctantly. Finally, time for bed. We are all exhausted. I tuck Kyra in and then, tuck Tasha in! She actually went to sleep by herself! Before I go to bed, I straighten the living room and vacuum (it had been a whole day since I vacuumed). Time for bed. Morning comes early. Monday. The best Monday in a long while. Helena comes home this afternoon. Neither girl shows any interest in breakfast. Kyra packs her lunch. Off to school. Drop her off. Tasha is sad that she didn't get to swing at Kyra's school. But the kids who actually go to school there are swinging. We come home for alone time before she goes to preschool. A quick last pickup of the house, once again vacuum the living room. Off to preschool. Drop Tasha off and head to the airport! Yea!!! I haven't seen my wife since Thursday and she looks good! Just enough time for lunch, the two of us at Rosita's. Off to get Kyra from school. Drop Kyra and Helena off at home, and then head out to get Tasha. Finally, we are home. As Tasha is getting out of the van she asks, "Is Mom inside?" As soon as I answer yes, she runs as fast as she can to find her. Mission accomplished! The weekend and a momless home is over. Thank goodness! Don’t misunderstand, the weekend, although busy, was fun. Helena got to get away and visit with a friend and see her Aunt. I got time with my girls, which is a million times better than work. All I have to say is: "Welcome home babe, you’re my hero! What I want to know is how in the world do you do it week in and week out?"

3 comments:

Monique said...

Bill,

I just loved this post, it was so funny! You can feel better knowing that Tasha had about 5 servings of fruit at the softball game, wait, I mean, five servings of 5% fruit juice popsicles.

Way to go dad! You accomplished a lot!

H said...

Hmmm, I ask myself the same question every day.

April said...

Bill,
At our girls' night Helena informed me that your blog had more than just sports entries on it. I didn't believe her. Then today Crystal verified said information. I have been corrected and thank goodness because I laughed so stinkin' hard at this post. Seriously, where do all of the dishes come from? Ahhhh!

I want Ryan to read this post. He is an amazing father but very one-track minded. He will take excellent care of the boys: feed them, play with them, bathe them and put them to bed, but he doesn't clean a thing in the process. My point is that he has yet to fully experience the life of a wife and mother as you have.
i think he'd appreciate me more if he could have that experience. And then of course I would feel validated and would more likely cut him come slack.

Dads are amazing. Well done! I commend you dear sir!

Your new blog-fan!
April