Thursday, September 24, 2009

Customer Service...


I am a big fan of Customer Service. It stems from the days of working at Ace Hardware. Everybody knows that Ace can't compete with the big box hardware stores when it comes to price. So how did we compete? Yep, customer service. We worked hard to provide the service customers needed. Ever walk into a Home Depot and get greeted by an employee that was willing to serve you? (not an official greeter). Nope. Chances are, if you do need help, you have to search for someone and most likely, the advice you get is questionable. So, when I come across great customer service, I recognize it. I try to make sure the person who has just succeeded in getting my attention is recognized. Ask my wife. She had had to wait a few times while I ask to talk to the person in charge. We all should do this when we can.


So, the purpose of this blog. McDonald's got my attention. All companies are looking or should be looking for that magic phrase that makes the customer feel wanted. Its not a big deal. But it goes a long way. Mickey D's has recently changed how they greet you when you get ready to order. At least at the location closest to my work. It used to be "can I help you?". Now, it's "what can I make you today?". Corny? A little. But it caught my attention. It made me feel like they cared. And that is the purpose. It's working. Hats off to the manager of my McDonald's that made the difference!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

You should have started singing to them "2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese" then that way you could have been corny back and gotten their attention too. That would have been hilarious.

H said...

Seriously people, Bill is customer service obsessed!!!