Monday, October 17, 2011

The Legend Continues...

The picture is blurry, but the proof is there.  One of my favorite stories to tell is the story of Billy, as a kid, swiping icing off of a wedding cake before the official cutting of the cake ceremony.  He was 3 years old and my best friend Larry was getting married.  My Dad happened to be in town on business and he was able to attend.  The next day, I was at Larry's house, just hanging out, watching the video of the wedding and the reception.  As we were watching the reception footage, we see Billy and my Dad in the background, just kind of standing, doing nothing, but looking a little guilty.  You see my Dad bend down, give Billy a little encouragement.  Billy then reaches up, swipes some icing off of the cake with his finger, then stick his finger in his mouth.  I sat in Larry's living room, not sure of what to say to Larry or his wife Lenora, when suddenly, they both busted out laughing.  Thank goodness they thought it was funny!

So here we are, all these years later, at my Dad's wedding.  The ceremony is over and we are at the reception  just hanging out.  The story comes up, and the questions is posed: "would Billy have the courage to repeat the act?"  I had two thoughts.  First, there was no way Billy would do it again, and second, if he did, I would be so proud!  To mt surprise and contentment, he walked inside, slinked in behind the cake, and worked his magic...

Well done Billy!  Bomps (my Dad) couldn't be prouder!  Let's hope that Maggie (Dad's bride) shared the same appreciation for the whole moment.  Thanks to Tasha who caught the act on film, and thank you Billy, for keeping this tradition alive...

1 comment:

Monique said...

As long as it stays in the family, LOL.