Monday, June 22, 2009

Sammy Sosa Joins Exclusive Club of Baseball’s Greatest Sluggers


From humble beginnings in the slums of the Dominican Republic to a household name in the United States: it’s the story of Sammy Sosa. And now the former Cubs star has further solidified his place in baseball history.


“To be mentioned in the same sentence as guys like Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro and Manny Ramirez – it’s a dream come true,” said Sammy Sosa, upon hearing his name was among the players who testified positive for steroids in 2003. “No one thought I could do this. When I came up to the majors, I was viewed as just a fast outfielder with a little bit of pop. Now, 609 home runs and about that many steroids cycles later, I’m immortal. Who could believe it?”


Sosa says he will never forget where he was when he got the call about the positive test. “I heard it from a member of the media first,” he said. “And after he told me I sh!t my pants. Literally. I was terrified and also years of steroids use left me with a weak sphincter of all things. And then I babbled some Spanglish until he got off the phone.


But with some time to reflect on the news, Sosa was able to put it into perspective.


“There were whispers and rumors about this for years,” said Sosa. “But I don’t think you really believe it until you hear it officially. I’m glad to remove that doubt about my career. I feel at peace.”


Sosa says the next call he will be waiting for will be from Cooperstown. “In a few years I’ll get the call that I wasn’t elected to the Hall of Fame,” he said. “At least that’s the call I hope I get next. I’m kind of worried the next call could be from the feds to prosecute me for lying in front of Congress.”

1 comment:

Matthew J. said...

Did Sammy say he was immortal or immoral?