Friday, July 17, 2009

Alan Jackson


I have been a country music fan for many years. Yes, my wife, then my girlfriend, gave me a challenge. I used to say the two worst types of music was country and western. She said to listen to it for a week, solid. If at the end of the week, you still do not care for it, then don't listen to it. Well, her challenge worked. I have been listening to it ever since. Most of the songs are good, but not all. Sometimes you get songs that do not make sense, but at least they sound good. Alan Jackson's song "Where I Come From" is got to be the worst song ever written. It does have a catchy sound to it, which I guess why is was so popular. It also came out during a time where Jackson could do no wrong. Most of the lyrics do not even rhyme! In the first verse:


Well I was rollin wheels and shiftin gears

round that jersey turnpike

When barney stopped me with his gun

Ten minutes after midnight

Said sir you broke the limit in this rusty ol truck

I dont know about that accent son

Just where did you come from


I give him the benefit of the doubt on turnpike and midnight, but truck is not a rhyme with anything and son and from doesn't work!


Third verse:


I was chasin sun on 101

Somewhere around ventura

I lost a universal joint and I had to use my finger

This tall lady stopped and asked If I had plans for dinner

Said no thanks maam, back home
We like the girls that sing soprano


Ventura and finger? I don't think so. Dinner and soprano? Not even close.


Forth verse:


Well I was headed home on 65

Somewhere around kentucky

The cb rang for a bobtail rig

Thats rollin on like thunder

Well I answered him and he asked me

Arent you from out in tulsa

No, but you mighta seen me there

I just dropped a load of salsa


Kentucky and thunder? Really? Tulsa and salsa? Sorry, not good enough.


Now I get that its a catchy tune. But the lyrics are stupid and don't make any sense. It is songs like this that make me tune into KSLX, 100.7, Classic Rock. This was released during the"Alan is King of Country era, but still...how does such a mainstream artist put out crap like this? It's just "turrible, turrible!"

1 comment:

H said...

How does he put out music like this? Hello!?! Did you not look at the picture you put up? "Back where I come from", that's how it works.