Saturday, October 2, 2010

What is it about me?


Why am I so approachable?  Why is it a done deal whenever there is anyone at a Circle K, they will almost bull rush me to ask for "help?"  I am not a tall individual, but nor am I considered small.  I get out of my car, walk with a purpose, get inside, and then I am doomed.  How can I get to my car and avoid being hit up?  Tonight, I pull up to the store and there is a young kid (20ish), hanging outside the far side of the door.  I see him.  I get out, walk quickly to the store, never looking  in that direction, not even looking up, definitely not acknowledging his presence.  I get my stuff, get in the slow lane (OK, there was only one lane, but the guy in front of me is arguing about the change he did/did not get, I always get behind this guy), finally get to pay, and head out the door.  I walk with authority to my car.  Of course, the guy just hanging out has now positioned himself on this side of the door, between the store and my car.  I go wide, walking in the parking lot, hoping I can just get in my car and go.  My keys are out and ready to go.  To no avail, of course.  The guy, in his most desperate voice, walks towards me and utters, "Hey buddy, can you help me out?"  Now, I have made every attempt to seem like the guy you do not ask.  It is obvious that I have gone out of the way to avoid all contact.  But without fail, they ask.  Now I know, I can just say no.  And sometimes I do, but usually I am willing.  How do they know that?  It's not like they would see me and know that I always say no and t hen know not to ask. 

So tell me...what is it about me?

1 comment:

Monique said...

Work on that scowl...